From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:11:34 -0700
Brian,

Our latest rescue was a skin-and-bones ferret, too.  Our vet supplied us
with Eukanuba high-calorie veterinary formula, a canned food made for cats;
she said it was more calorie-dense than anything else on the market.  We had
to force-feed the first few meals -- put some food on your finger or a small
rubber spatula and scrape it off on the roof of the fuzzy's mouth -- but Sam
decided pretty quickly that she liked it, and after that I just put it in a
bowl for her.

Keep your high quality dry food available all the time and offer the canned
stuff every 4 hours or so (or as often as you can manage if you're not at
home during the day).  This stuff needs to be refrigerated after opening; we
warm it up in the microwave before serving.

If the ferret has a sweet tooth you can also offer Sustacal (found with the
human nutritional supplements at the drugstore) between meals; ours like the
vanilla flavor, warmed to room temperature and served in a medicine dropper
(infant section of the drugstore).

Sam has gained 6.5 oz.  on Eukanuba in a few weeks (not bad for a ferret who
weighted 1 lb.  3 oz.  when we picked her up) and her coat is much improved.
Best of luck with your new guy, and please keep us posted.

ellen & the Gang of Three (is it dinnertime yet?)