From:
Terry Hawks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 11:12:30 -0700
HI,
I am the author of "Nosin' 'Round with Peekie Petie", the fictional,
children's book about my ferret and I want to tell you about my interactions
so far with the public on the subject of ferrets.  I take Petie sometimes to
functions and even when I don't, I get all sorts of questions about ferrets.
I answer them honestly and to the best of my ability and have discovered
that the public is of two minds: it really likes or really dislikes ferrets.
The persons who dislike them do so because of misconceptions about ferrets.
I clear those up each time and have written editorials in Boise on ferrets
and misconceptions.  I have received positive feedback on the book from
everyone I have met and am encouraged by the fact that people can be
educated and even have bought ferrets because of the book.  I had a signing
at a pet store which educates the public about ferrets and all the kits went
that day.  Children have warmed to Petie and go bananas when he is around.
I believe that my book and I are helping to dispel some myths for the simple
reason that we portray a ferret in a playful way.  However, I make sure that
I tell people that they should educate themselves first before they get a
ferret as a pet.  I hope they take my advice.