From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 02:33:23 +0000
Hi there.  This is for the person who recently asked about prostatic cysts.
I apologize for not remembering your name or having your message, but it's
been on my mind.

I was re-reading some stuff in the Ferret Adrenal/Insulinoma Mailing List
(FAIML) I moderate, and came across a mention of prostatic cysts as symptoms
of adrenal disease.  I know prostatic tissue enlargment is a symptom, and
can close of the urethra (eventually) and cause urinary tract infections,
but hadn't heard the term cysts used.

I don't recall where the growth you mentioned was... but is there any chance
it could be adrenal and the prostate problems a symptom of this?

My understanding is that prostatic enlargement is inoperable because the
prostate is not so much an organ as tissue, which enlarges around the
urethra.  My vet has never mentioned prostatic surgery as an option.  There
was someone in an early FAIML that was having prostatic cysts drained, but
the problems kept coming back because the source hadn't been dealt with,
i.e. the adrenal disease.

The solution would be treating the disease, via surgery or chemical therapy.
In the case of prostate enlargement, my current thinking is that Lupron is
the treatment of choice, usually coupled with Lysodren.  Even if surgery is
done, the Lupron can address the prostate enlargement immediately, which can
be important if the urinary tract is obstructed or flow is increased,
whereas Lysodren would take longer for results.

I may be way off base here, but thought I should mention this.  Please let
me know what you find out.  I hope the fur kid will be okay.

Fuzzy hugs always,

Lynn Mc.