From:
"Grace Sylvan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1991 23:20:00 -0700
Chip:
Show in Reno Oct 23rd??  Or did you mean you'd be out looking then?
And what time frame for the show then??
(X-illegal California ferret owner who wants to support them being
free here!!)

------------------
Nancy:

Hugs to you, sister, brother-in-law, and the little one. I've thought
to write every time I read something from you. On the lighter side --
it won't be difficult for her to do 6 small meals a day -- that's how
a toddler eats anyways (I'm the mom of a 2 year old right now)

-------------------
Don in CA:
This is the way that I understand it and that the vets I've known
interpret the law (by the way, one of my vets (the one I take my dog
to) has a ferret book mounted on the wall of his office as one of the
items he sells.)

There is a funny definition of who is responsible for the ferret -- if
the ferret is not left at the vets (seen  on outpatient basis only) it
appears that the vet need not report seeing  the ferret. If it must be
left at the vet, then the vet is legally in possession/responsible and
must have a license or report  the animal.  So  I know of  2 vets here
who not only take  care of ferrets, but  are very interested  in them,
and have  connections cross  country to  others where the  animals are
legal and far more are seen. One of those vets wanted  to autopsy Kang
for free when he died of whatever he had that wasn't diagnosed, but we
found him dead outside in the CA heat (in  their  cage) but probably a
good day after he died. So he wasn't able/willing to.

So, you should be able to simply visit some local vet offices and get
a clue -- or ask the vet if they treat ferrets. I also think there is
some kind of ferret organization out here that might be able to get
you recommendations... One I knew was in the berkeley area, another
one down here in San Jose -- both too far if you are ever dealing with
a sick animal...
------------------

Chris (and anyone else who cares):
I thought you might want to know that I am 4.5 months pregnant, and
everything looks great, and we're planning another home birth with the
midwife who attended my daughter Kathy's birth and who supplied much
needed support at the death of our son Corey at 5 months gestation.
So...  we're expecting yet another Sylvan sometime around Feb 25th,
1992.

[Pat and my best...]

                                hugs!
                                *Tigger*

PS - I think I can become non-anon, since I don't think we'll be
     getting any ferrets anytime in the near future.
[Okay.]

Everyone:

Hey, how about some more responses to my request for life expectancy
fixed or not, etc, info....  Here's the format in case you need it
again:

Like:

Rikki (male)    conv.           died 7yr        unknown (old age)
Kang (male)     conv.           died 7yr        unknown
Nose (male)     conv.           escap 5yr       still going strong then