Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 15:28:51 EDT
It is with the greatest sadness that I must report that the home of Mary Ann
Staffire inn Okeechobee, Florida burned on Sunday April 5th 1998.  In the fire
all four of her beloved ferrets passed from this earth to the Rainbow Bridge.

When the fireman arrived at the home of Mary Ann they found her in shock
wandering around in her front yard Mary Ann was in such a state that she
could not even tell the fireman who else was in the house.  The fire was
so out of control that the fireman could not even enter the house for 30
minutes.  Mary Ann herself suffers from smoke inhalalation (spelling,
sorry), shock and deep depression.  The Red Cross has given her vouchers for
three nights at a hotel, vouchers for some clothes at K-Mart, and vouchers
for food.  Mary Ann's Mother and Sister are due to arrive today (Monday
April 6th 1998).

Mary Ann is one of the bravest individual I have ever met, she shared her
deep love of her ferrets with everyone.  When I first met Mary Ann - it had
been a short two years since she had collided head on with and 18 wheel
truck.  Mary Ann's body was horribly scared and she still suffers many
medical problems from the collision.  Mary Ann just keeps going.  Last month
her's was one of the homes which suffered damage by a tornado.  Mary Ann's
greatest love was her ferrets - now they are gone.

Ms. Sue Thomas of Okeechoee Ferret Rescue removed the little bodies from the
burned house and provided a burial service for the Children on her property.
Sue reports that it appears that the children died of smoke inhalation.  Sue
talked to Mary Ann's neighbor who told her that the Fire Inspector believes
the fire started due to an electrical connection.

Mary Ann is now Homeless, ferretless, and without basic necessities.

I come to you my Ferret Friends to ask that you help Mary Ann in her time of
need.  Sue Thomas today is going again to Mary Ann's home to salvage what
she can, she will also meet with Mary Ann's mother and sister and see what
arrangements can be made for Mary Ann.  Fortunately Mary Ann had insurance
on her home - but it will take 3 - 12 months for rebuilding.  I have
instructed sue to get Mary Ann's clothing sizes and a basic list of what she
needs immediately.  When I receive this list I will relay it to you all.

In the meantime I would deeply appreciated if you could send cards or
letters of condolence to Mary Ann.  If you would like to help monetarily
that would also be appreciated.  Please send your cards and letters to:

Mary Ann Staffire
%Sue Thomas
5768 NW 149th Terrace
Okeechobee, FL   34972

Those that would like to make contributions of money or things for ferrets
in the name of the Ferrets who died should make them to Sue Thomas' shelter
In loving memory of Spike, Deria, Rody, and Sprite Staffire.
[corrected address per following post. BIG]

Mary Ann Staffire
% Sue Thomas
5768 NW 149th Terrace
Okeechobee, FL   34972

As soon as  we receive more news I will post on the FML.

In loving memory of Spike, Deria, Rody and Sprite Staffire

Chere McCoy
Director, Ferret Friends Disaster Response International