From:
Gail Sherman Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 21:52:56 -0500
Greetings and thanks to all who recommended that I get a second opinion for
my poor starving little Spot, especially to Francine Prager who recommended
the Animal Medical Center and Dr. Quesenberry in particular.  Well, I cannot
say enough good things about this place.  They were incredibly concerned and
thorough in their examination of my little girl.  They admitted her right
away and took x-rays to rule out a bowel obstruction to make sure she did
not need surgery.  The bloodwork revealed elevated liver enzymes so they did
some additional tests to be sure that liver problems were a symptom of her
problems, not the cause.  Thankfully the tests showed that the liver was
enlarged due to her not eating and not disease.  The final diagnosis is
heliobacter infection, for which she is taking Flagyl, Amoxi drops and
Pepto.  (Boy does she HATE pepto!)  As many astute FMLers suggested, Dr
Quesenberry believes that he swollen vulva is most likely due to the early
stages of adrenal disease, not an improper spay, but will explore this issue
further once Spot has started eating and regained some weight.  I picked
Spot up tonight and brought her home.  She looks great, except for the
shaved tummy which looks very silly.  Three days of sub-q fluids and force
feedings have done her a world of good.  SInce she got home she hasn't
stopped eating, which is wonderful to see.  I am so happy to see her little
face, and Spike keeps following her around and sniffing her butt.  I guess
that's her way of making sure of her identity.  Thanks again to everyone who
wrote to me with advice and encouragement.  It really helped me get through
this in a state of relative sanity.  As the adrenal issue is dealt with I'll
post updates.

Gail, Spot (the $1000 ferret)  & Spike