From:
Dennis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 01:38:55 -0800
Hi Ed,

First, let me thank you for many years ago getting me started with my first
ferret, named Tigklu-go, in your breeding nomenclature, later renamed
Frances.  She's since passed on, but was a happy, spunky, well-loved ferrret
while she was here.  Grendel (a rescue I adopted from you at age 10 weeks
about 6 years ago) is still happy, healthy, and raising heck (and little
fountains of dirt, when I let him at it).

I have to agree with you about ferrets and digging.  Of my three, one,
Diesel, is a real digger.  The other two are usually too distracted when
outdoors, preferring to cover more territory with longer, less in-depth
walks.  I think their strategy is "more sniffing, less digging," but they're
able to cruise around at will with me in tow, rather than being staked out
as your guys are.  (I don't have a dog- and passerby-free zone in which to
stake them out.) Indoors, they'll all dismantle a potted plant in minutes if
I let them, so maybe I will get a trough as you suggested and let them have
at it.  I was thinking of using a kiddie pool before.

If any of you on the FML are out walking your ferret in an area where there
are crows, try to notice what the crows do when they spot your ferret
slithering or bouncing along through the grass.  The crows around the
University of Washington pretty consistently sound alarm calls, which seems
to make the ferret nervous (about other predators?).  This continues until
you pick up and hide the ferret from the crows.  I think Ed's crows are
used to the ferrets, but give alarm calls when hawks are around, which is
beneficial to other crows and the ferrets.

I hope to see some of you at the ferret show in the Seattle Center this
coming Saturday (check FML #1998-2255 or email [log in to unmask] for more
info).

Happy Ferreting!
Dennis