From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 23:25:11 -0500
I went to the monthly board meeting for our local animal control (Cobb
County, GA) tonight.  The officers told me they had just attended a
conference of animal control agencies last week in Macon, GA.  They were
delighted to tell me that the change in the '98 Compendium of Animal Rabies
Control (CARC) was mentioned.  Unfortunately, the State of GA has not
disseminated the info to any animal control agencies, veterinarians, or
hospitals yet.  The update to our _GA Rabies Control Manual_, which is
based on the CARC, has not yet been distributed to date.

The officers gave me a copy of the Jan-Feb '98 issue of _Animal Sheltering_,
the community animal care, control & protection resource bimonthly magazine
published by the HSUS of the US.  On the front, as a featured article, is
_Rabies and Ferrets: New Protocols_!  And right on page 1 in _The Front
Lines_ section is the update article.  BIG, the reprint policy for this
publication states: Humane organizations & animal care & control agencies
are encouraged to reprint articles published in Animal Sheltering in whole
or in part, without permission, provided that the reprinting serves
educational purposes in keeping w/the magazine's intent.  So here it is:

FERRETS:  NEW PROTOCOL FOR RABIES EXPOSURE

The compendium of Animal Rabies Control (CARC) committee is now recommending
that ferrets who have bitten people or animals, or who may have been exposed
to rabies, be cared for in the same manner as cats & dogs.  The revised
Compendium of Animal Rabies Control, 1998, released in December, coincides
with the release of a comprehensive study that analyzed the length of time
from exposure to shedding of the virus to the onset of symptoms in ferrets.

"We now know that if a rabid ferret bites somebody, the animal will show
signs of illness within a day or two, & die within a ten-day period, just
like a dog or cat would," says Bob Johnson, DVM, CARC committee member &
Vermont State Public Health Veterinarian.  "If that animal is still eating &
drinking at the end of ten days, the animal does not have rabies."

Now, shelters can safely quarantine or confine ferrets who have bitten,
instead of euthanizing the animals & having them tested for the disease.
Unvaccinated ferrets who have been bitten by a potentially rabid animal,
however, should be isolated for six months or euthanized just as dogs &
cats would be.  Suzanne Jenkins, VMD, chair of the CARC, recommends that
shelters be careful whenever placing ferrets or any animal without a known
vaccination history, particularly those with wounds of unknown origin.
Shelter personnel will need to monitor all animals closely & make decisions
regarding their disposition on a case-by-case basis, giving special
consideration to the prevalence of rabies in the area.

Copies of the revised statement have already been sent to all state public
health veterinarians, state epidemiologists, and state veterinarians.  The
HSUS urges local animal care & control agencies to work closely with these
state officials to revise ferret quarantine laws in light of the new
information.

Fore more guidance or to receive a copy of the HSUS's Revised Statement on
Ferrets as Companion animals, call 202-452-1100.  For a complete copy of
the revised compendium, contact your state health department or refer to
the January 15, 1998 edition of the Journal of American Veterinary Medical
Association (Vol.  212, No.  2).

-SK
Animal Sheltering Magazine e-mail address <[log in to unmask]>

YAY!!!   Let's all say thank you for spreading the word for us.

visit our web page at:  http://www.mindspring.com/~jcrow/gdfa/index.html