Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 10:05:29 -0800
>...i just want to know if how she gave the shot was correct- she gave her a
>shot in the fatty part of her neck(the scruff).  she didn't put the needle
>in really far.  my ferret didn't have any reaction to the shot- either
>physically or personality wise.

Actually, this part was OK.  The *problem*: she didn't use Benadryl prior,
to lessen the chances of a reaction; also, I'd certainly hope you knew where
a good vet was no more than 30 minutes away in case of a severe allergic
reaction, which can happen and can kill.  (I forget the exact regimen for
Benadryl, the amounts or time prior to the "real shots" - I'd find out; Pam
Greene's site oughta have it on a FAQ, or a good vet would know.)

There's even been reports of ferrets that had had past shots without
reactions suddenly getting one, sometimes a *bad* one, so you can't assume
that no precautions will ever be needed for *this* fert ever again.

But her actual shot procedure was fine; the fert is now definitely
vaccinated for distemper.

Oh, another issue; if it's a *rabies* shot, it should be by a vet.  The
whole point in that case is *not* protection against disease, it's
protection from the health authorities in case of a bite, and the "health
cops" won't accept a fert as vaccinated against rabies unless a vet does it
and signs off on it.

OK?  But that's not an issue with the distemper (fervac) shot.

Jim March