From:
Maggie Mae <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 15:42:17 EDT
Hi There,

I have been getting a lot of comments and questions regarding biters lately,
so I thought I would put my opinions on the subject down in the written
word.  Keep in mind that my opinion could be argued to be worth exactly
what you pay for it.  I am not an expert on ferrets, just seem to have a
lot of practical knowledge in this area.

Guess I should start out with an overview of my thought regarding ferrets
and their behavior.

I have had horses, cats, dogs, birds, fish, and ferrets.  Each animal I take
on more or less its own terms, requiring different minimum behavior from
each.  I look at it this way, to honor the animal and show as much respect
as I can for it, I have to account for the animal's innate behavior.

This means I expect a certain amount of obedience from dogs (pack behavior
and I am definitely top dog), less from the cats but strict rules on certain
things (staying off the dinner table, etc) and with ferrets, well, I
actually accept a large amount of things from them I would not tolerate in
the other two.

It also means that I tend to play with ferrets in a way that most would
consider pretty rough.  And since the play I initiate is rough, they are
allowed to play rough with me.  I have only met one other ferret owner who
plays as roughly with them, and we both have scratches on our forearms to
prove it.  Translate it to this: I allow the ferret to play chew on me, play
attack, and nip me.  But under all circumstances, it is obviously play,
nothing else.  I tend to allow them to treat me like a ferret, within
limits.  Well, it is only fair since I enjoy playing rough too.

Not everyone agrees with this.  And I can understand why.  I think there is
a moderate ground between the rough play I choose to employ and treating the
ferrets like human children.  I think that is what most ferret owners strive
for.  And lest you think I am strict about some things, realize that all my
animals get whatever kind of treats they adore (I don't feed carrots, garlic
or onions).

Because of my own way of doing things, I will try to define what differen=
t types of biting behavior I have encountered.

First, what is not biting.  And yes, I recently got asked this, so it is
said in all earnest.  When you pick up your ferret, rub its neck or ears,
and it opens its mouth wide, this is not to be let down nor a preamble to
chomping.  It is not the ferret being upset in any way.  It is a yawn which
is brought about by genetics.  Somewhat like folks of Swedish ancestry who
can curl tongues.  Or wiggling your ears.  Not all do it, but most do.  It
is also not necessarily a sign of relaxation or boredom.

This starts out with all those ferrets who don't even open their mouths on
you in play.  Usually used to more refined play, you may never feel their
teeth on your skin.  I don't have any of those.  ;-)

Lets go up to the outside boundary for the non-biters.  This would include
those who sometimes can play nip pretty darn hard, leaving dents in the
skin.  It is important to make a distinction for motives here.

Speaking of motives, this is very important.  Many ferrets, especially young
ones or those not handled much, will bite a lot at first.  They may even
draw a drop or two of blood on occasion.  But I don't really consider this
behavior biting.  It is nipping, that is, it is for the express purpose of
getting attention or playing.  Like a puppy.  They are treating you like
another ferret.  Depending on your own tolerances, this is could be good or
bad.

I don't like it to hurt, but will tolerate a little overenthusiastic
behavior, usually accompanied by a loud "Ouch!"  All of mine know this
means they went too far and immediately back off.

Think of how puppies play, they wrestle and bite each other, and sometimes
get nipped too hard and yelp.  The others recognize this as too much and
back off.  I have always had my ferrets recognize my "yelps."

The only real problem I have ever had with allowing such latitude is in
dealing with guests who are ferret owners and even harder, guests who
aren't.  Most ferret owners do not allow this latitude and so can get upset
with what I will allow.  I have to be careful about watching the ferrets,
cause this can cause them confusion.  But even so, I only have a small few
who I have to watch.

Mags