From:
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 20:21:11 -0800
>From:    "Nielsen, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Show information

In our honest opinion, the AFA has the most solid standard and the most
professional approach to ferret shows.  Write to [log in to unmask] and/or
Vicky McKimmey at [log in to unmask] (or is that jbferret@ ?)

Vicky would be the AFA contact.  She is definitely among the best at show
organization.  The AFA wants to sanction more shows to help spread
information on ferrets.  Officers in the AFA have told me they are willing
especially to help out more on the first show a group puts on.

Hey if you want you can ask them to send bill as a judge.  We like reasons
to travel.

>From:    Marta -Cricket <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ivory colored ferret
>I remember someone mentioning something people use on show ferrets to
>keep their fur a brighter white.  Could someone please let me know what
>this is, or give me an idea what I might use to ...for lack of a better
>word, "bleach" his fur?

Use a dog or cat shampoo for white animals.  They are usually blue since
they have bluing in them.

>From:    Michael <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Chester's coloring

Looks like a black mitt or sable mitt.  Not a cinnamon.

>From:    GOODLILBUD <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Neutered Male and Vasectomized Male
>What is the difference between a neutered male and vasectomized male?
>Why would you do one over the other?

A neutered male has his testicles removed.  A vasectomized has the tubes
from his testes tied.  Neutered males are not able to function sexually -
though some still try.  Vasectomized hobs are able to perform but "shoot
blanks".  Unless you are a breeder you will certainly want to neuter.  If
you are a breeder you might want a vasectomized hob to perform the sexual
act which brings a jill out of estrus.  If a jill is not brought out she
has at least a 50% chance of dying from aplastic anemia.

>From:    Lisaferets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Here we go again...

We think the reactions have something to do with stress.  Distemper
vaccinations are certainly important but perhaps you might consider a
quarrantine period where you keep a newcomer seperate from your other
ferrets for a while.  There is Bob's supposition that adrenal problems
might also have some connection to the stress from a shelter (or similar)
situation.  After the ferret has at least a few days to get accustomed to
the place you can give a vaccination.  You are gambling either way you
choose to go on this.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/