From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Mar 1998 11:32:38 -0500
Hello again Bob-- you wrote:
>Early neutering does not seem to be a problem with other species, so it
>loses some of its credibility in the ferret issue.  Still, dogs and cats
>are not typically neutered at the same relative stage of growth as many
>ferrets, expecially those neutered at about a month of age.  This is
>because the growth curves of the various species are different, so one
>being neutere d at 6 weeks might be the physiological equal to another
>species being neutered at 3 weeks.  I know of no research into this issue.

I do admire your extensive undertaking-- if you have delved at all into the
study of endocrinology-- the manifestation of adrenal disease in the ferret
should not be so surprising.

I realize their is no study on endicrinology OF the ferret-- but truly it
does not differ so drastically from us humans-- if it did the ferrets woudl
not be used so extensively in human research.

It is demonstrated in printed matter, and publications that the pituitary
gland looks first within the network of systems to the gonad group-- that is
the mammory's and the testis.  These are the very same components which are
removed during the early alter-- then once the messages are not being sent
from this region the pituitary goes shopping for input- and in a round about
way the adrenals are next in line to fill in the missing messages.  NOw I do
admit this explanation has been somewhat tailored so our readers can relate
to the post ..

 ...the adrenals then manage their own messages and pick up the slack
for the missing gonads.  Overwork is easy to interpret.  Combine that
the overwork from very early onset with any one of the conditions
aforementioned--

POOR NUTRITION: which could be lack of nutrition- either due to improper
diet, neglect etc.; or nutrition which is composed of caustic ingredients (
those which cause difficulty to the systems) such as artificial colors,
preservatives, etc.; or incorrect ingredients.  Nutrition today is not what
it was many years ago-- even grains to feed poultry and cattle - for food
basis - are chemically treated these days-- and many other variables in
developing the feed could fall under the nutrition aspect-

STRESS: could be from early onset with removing the kit prematurely from the
mother-- ; or it might be from the stress and trauma of shipping, pet store
holding and transfer, or from being in an unsettling environment, improper
training, a violent household... it could even be the result of prolonged
illness...

ENVIRONMENTAL: this could be anything from photoperiods to allergens etc.
We would need a week to discuss environmental causes-- especially if the
immune system were to be compromised from the beginning due to early alter...
the case is we need to study and one quick answer will not say it all.

The underlying fact is the system (the early alter- case specific) is taxed
from the beginning.  Any additional attack from any of the stated factors--
and perhaps more not stated will surely make the system crash earlier.

While many folks are finding some band aids to the adrenal disease-- that is
all that it is -- a short term remedy to buy some quality time-- we are not
"fixing" anything.  In comparing the ferrets to dogs and cats we miss the
boat-- the animals (cats and dogs) have a longer lifeline to begin with...
then you compare the ferrets higher metabolic rate---- and do not forget (
you didn't-- it is in the copied text) that comparatively the ferret is
altered at / before 6 weeks of age-- where cats and dogs are usually 12
weeks-- perhaps 10 weeks-- when their bodies do benefit from developing more
completely.

I have conferred with a few vets who have stated that they do see some
bladder and cushings in dogs they know were altered earlier than in previous
years-- and while a few more cases do not make a grand case-- it should be a
consideration.

Truly we need a study-- but in the end I will not be surprised to see that
the disease is related to endocrinology-- with many varying conditions which
provoke it- of course in this case hormonal supplements might make up for
the loss of hormonal messages-- but there would be no way to regulate these
in a growing and developing ferret body-- at least not easily.  What all
this discussion has shown us is that there is a definite need for study.
There are no easy answers-- in fact there to date are no answers at all....

The need is here for those who want to invest their time, talents and gifts,
in the end we might see healthier, happier ferrets, and perhaps a longer
lifeline for them as a result.

Good discussion-- where does it lead to now?

Alicia