From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 11:35:01 -0800
Hi FML friends,

A couple of comments from recent threads - first of all, I am an underground
California fert owner who really struggled initially in making the decision
to, well, basically break the law by getting ferrets.  But my whole life -
all of my family, friends, job, and boyfriend is here and I can't move - and
just could not live without fuzzies any longer either.  For those of us in
Northern Calif.  (Bay area specifically), Reno, NV is the closest place to
get a ferret.  As far as I'm aware, there are only pet stores, no breeders
in Reno.  I purchased all 3 of my babies from 2 excellent pet stores there.
Yes, they are MF babies, but other than a bout of ECE last summer (which
they overcame very quickly -- within a month and no longterm effects
whatsoever) they are all extremely happy and healthy.  Casey is going on 3
years old, Jasmine 2 years and Sam is 1 year old.  I also have friends here
who have many 5 and 6, and 8 and even 9 year old MF ferrets who are just now
slowing down, one has insulanoma, the other adrenal but otherwise they're
healthy.

I guess my point is that there will always be Calif. owners sneaking in
ferrets across the border, I would discourage it, especially for people who
don't "do their homework" and make sure ferts are the pets for them.  For
those who do anyway, it is somewhat risky but the law is not really
enforced.  My babies are spoiled rotten, they truly are my children and I
treat them as such.  They have wonderful lives, even though they can't enjoy
the famous California sunshine.  I wouldn't recommend discriminating against
a potentially wonderful fert owner who is in the same situation I'm in.  Too
many people will find a way to get a fuzzit anyway and get around the border
(it's very easy to do in Reno).

My second point is regarding MF ferts - I've been on the FML for two years
now and this ugly debate has reared its head several times a year, I don't
wish to add to it and just want to point out in light of all the MF bashing,
posts of sick ferts, etc.  to contrast, my 3 MF babies have a wonderful
home, they are given the best food, cage, toys, love and attention and are
very healthy and happy.  For those of us who don't have options of
purchasing from breeders or shelters, pet stores that usually only carry MF
ferts are the only option for us.  And my fellow local underground ferret
owners and I are perfect examples of success stories in this case.

On a lighter note, the last thing I wanted to add is in regard to the
"stupidest things people say about ferrets" - I've heard it all too.  At
first, you want to laugh, then it gets very annoying and just proves there
is still a wealth of ferret misinformation and uneducated people.  But I
keep my annoyance in check since it's no one individuals fault!  Anyway, the
stupidest things I've heard are, "eeew - aren't they wild rodents?" (!!!)
and "you better not ever have children, ferrets are baby killers!" can you
believe it?

Hugs and kisses to all the furry 4-footers and their families...
Jen & the three woozles Jasmine, Casey and Samantha