From:
Tatia Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 11:25:10 -0600
Suzanne,

We are glad you found us on the FML too.  I am sure you will receive many
you to take him to the vet as soon as you can.  This is good advice in
general.  Be sure to check around for a veterinarian who is experienced and
familiar with ferrets.  It is important that they know what they are doing
with these little guys.  At the very least, be sure your vet is open to
receiving information.  There are many folks on this list who, while are not
vets, have experienced much and can offer advice and suggestions or
resources that your vet can check on himself.  You will find them
invaluable.

As for the incessant scratching, it may be as simple as dry skin due to poor
diet.  There is a very good brand of shampoo for animals (Allergroom, I
think is the name) that you might try.  It is very soothing to the skin.
You might check with your local pet supermarket or vet for it.  But be sure
not to bathe your ferret too often.  It will dry out their skin and cause
their oil glands to go into overdrive trying to compensate.  This will
create a very strong odor.  3 or 4 baths a year is plenty unless he gets
into something (like a potted plant or your class of cola...) The best way
to keep down odor is to change the litter box and bedding frequently.  Wash
his blankets often and you will not have a stinky ferret.  Try mixing a good
quality ferret food (Totally Ferret is HIGHLY recommended by most folks on
the FML - I have had spectacular success with it - call 1(800) JEFFERS to
order it) in with his regular food.  If both are dry brands, try mixing them
in a container and letting them "mingle" for a few days.  This will make the
transition to the quality food easier on the little one.  Gradually decrease
the amount of the cheap food until he will accept the good stuff.  (As a
treat - try raisins.  Most ferrets are crazy over them.  Bananas are popular
with many ferrets also.)

Congratulations on becoming a new ferret owner and please don't hesitate to
send us your questions.  We are all in this for the good of the fuzzies and
are happy to help whenever we can.

Good luck!
Tatia