Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 10:56:20 -0600
From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Cam -
The anemia (ferrets going white) and tarry stools may be an indication of
ulcers.  When our Rikki started to bleed out from an ulcer(s) we had her on
intensive care for 6 weeks.  Please discuss this possibility and treatment
with your veterinarian.

The recommended treatment for ulcers is:

Biaxin 50 mg/kg once daily (for 2 weeks)
Amoxi 20 mg/kg twice daily
Pepto Bismal .5 to .75 cc 2-4 times daily (every 6 hours)
Carafate - liquid suspension is easier to give - 4 times daily (every
6 hours and must be given at least 1 hour before or 2 hours after
other meds or food)

Feed duck soup or similar recipe every 3-4 hours -10-20 cc's.  Aim for 60 -
90 cc's per pound per day, high side if they aren't eating anything else.
(Sustacal, Boost, Ensure, Resource are all acceptable.  Heavy whipping cream
mixed with baby food or SD A/D works well too.) The key is to find a recipe
that is palatable to your ferret and contains as much of the needed
nutrients as possible.  You can also try spritzing their regular food with
warm water to bring out the aroma or float their food in warm water.

This treatment should be continued for not less than 2 weeks.  If symptoms
re-occur after 2 weeks, continue treatement without Biaxin for 2 additional
weeks.  Treatment may need to be continued up to 6 weeks.  This protocol is
a combination of recommendations by Dr. Dutton, Dr. Weiss, Dr. Williams, and
my own experience.

Previous treatment included Flagyl, however, from my own experience Flagyl
causes mouth ulcers, nausea, and leaves a metal taste in your mouth even
after the treatment is finished.  When you are dealing with a ferret that is
already feeling sick this may cause more problems.  I've heard of good
results on the use of Biaxin.  We've had good results with Carafate as has
Dick Bossart.  As with many ailments, it is imperative that supportive care
be given properly (meaning times/doses around the clock, etc.) This may seem
like a lot of work at the time, but it will save you a lot of stress and
worry when you do it properly and know that you are doing all that you can
for your little one(s).

As for the liver readings - you mentioned ECE.  With all the damage that ECE
does to their little GI tracts it does affect the liver.  This may or may
not be what you are experiencing - again you will want to discuss this with
your veterinarian.

We regularly use Pau 'D Arco tincture (immune system booster - health food
store) and Vit C in our group.  Slippery Elm Bark tincture (coats - health
food store) is used in reoccuring diarrhea cases (ECE related).

Hugs to all. tle