Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:39:30 -0000
From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>I was wondering if there is a certain type of breed that is especially
>known for being more gentle/calm than others.  I had heard that the darker
>the ferret the closer it was related to it's wild ancestors black footed
>ferret.

The ferret isn't a descendant of the the black footed ferret "M.  negripes"
but is believed to be descended from the European Polecat "M.  putorius
putorius" - I wouldn't say that the darker ferret is closer related to the
"wild" polecat - after all the ferret has been domesticated over 2000 years.
However, we do have some idiots in the UK who think that by capturing a
Polecat and mating it to a ferret they end up with a "super ferret".  In
actual fact all they end up with an untrustworthy animal which will more
than likely nip, be nervous, won't work as well as a ferret and will
probably escape back to the 'wild' at the first opportunity.

When I challenged one of these breeders about the 'attitude' of the first
generation polecat x ferret he said "Yes, well the first generation won't be
much good but by the 4th generation they will be super ferrets!" Question
for Bob C - by the fourth generation breeding back to ferrets or ferret x
polecats how much of the original polecat genes will be left?  By my
reckoning we'd be back to a ferret!  A ferret which wouldn't have the 2000 +
years of domestication behind it.

>Also what is the best age to get a ferret?  ie when they are able to become
>socialized?  And if you were to wait 4 to 6 months before spay/neuter, will
>the ferret become larger with the extra hormones for growth.

IMHO the best age to get a ferret would be when it is at least 10 weeks old.
If possible please wait until the ferret is at least 6 months old before the
spay/neuter - it is a belief in the UK that the early spay/neuter (and
descenting) can cause problems for the ferret in later life.  I would
imagine that the ferret will be larger with the early neuter good nutrition
will also play a large part in the early growth of the ferret.  Kits are
full grown around 4 months old but they will still pile weight on during the
autumn(fall)/winter months, which they will/should lose in the following
spring.

Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare
National Ferret Welfare Society Newsletter Editor
http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm (Last Update 14 Jan 1998)