From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 12:49:21 -0500
>Has anyone come up with a really effective way to block an open banester or
>stairway?

I faced a similar problem recently and used two big sheets of plexiglass
over the spindles.  Secure them with some oval head screws, using raised
washers to make it look good.  For the corners you can use L-shaped molding,
painted to match the banister.

For a door at the top I constructed my own.  Secure a piece of 2x4 ish wood
edge wise to the wall with toggle bolts, and hinge the door on that side.
On the banister side, I secured anothe piece of wood vertically alongside
the post for the door to close against.  The door itself is made of
plexiglass with a wooden frame and latched with a screw hook.  To the
banister post when closed, or to the upper landing window sill when open.
It opens inward, and everything is slippery enough so they can't climb it.

        Bill Williamson