From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:18:15 -0600
Yes, your little one can hurt herself from falling or jumping off a high
place.  Speedy injured her back about 3 weeks ago.  She has one compressed
disc.  She has no real use of her back legs and cannot control bladder or
bowels.  She is currently on Pediapred, which we are now weaning her off of
and Arnica (herb).  I just added the Arnica in hopes that it will help
during the physical rehab process.  I also use a diaper rash creme to help
with the urine irritation.  I have to express Speedy's bladder as she cannot
do it herself and when it fills up it just dribbles out.  Speedy is in
pretty good spirits, a bit of pain - to be expected at this point and
hopefully a sign of healing as for two weeks she was in no pain at all, eats
well and gets around from bed to bed.  Speedy is about 7 years old.  As far
as I can determine she fell off the top of a Midwest cat condo and below
that was another cage that she must have landed wrong on.  The remedy -
place a hammock on that outside of the cage so if they fall they land in the
cage.  The bottom cage can be used to run a rod up to connect the hammock on
one side, the other side of the hammock is connected to a U staple on the
wall and the other two sides directly onto the Midwest cage.  The other side
of the Midwest cage already had a hammock between it and another cage.  My
ferrets are free-roam but have cages to go into if they want to.  I've had
the Midwest cage for several years and this is the first time there has been
a problem.  Just goes to show you can never be too cautious when it comes to
ferrets.

Hugs to all. tle