From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:16:53 -0000
I found a product at my very reputable and discriminating health store which
I'd like to hear ferret opinions on from any of you knowledgeable in this
area.  I have a ferret with insulinoma who has developed adrenal disease and
I would like to add it to her daily soup.

The product is called Blood Sugar Balance, Chinese Formula for Blood Sugar,
made by Ridgecrest Herbals, Inc.  in Salt Lake City.  A testimony on the
label says, "I have poor adrenals and low blood sugar and within one day I
could feel the difference in my energy and mood.  I have been tired for over
8 months and now feel better than I have for years." The ingredients are:
Calcium Sulfate, Oryza Seed, Anemarrhena Root, Siberian Ginseng Root and
Licorice Root.

I know the Ginseng provides energy and licorice root is good for the
adrenals, but I don't know anything about the other ingredients, including
whether there is any reason not to be giving them to Esme'.  I'm also
curious about the relationship between adrenals and blood sugar levels,
since it is the insulinomas on her pancreas that affect her blood sugar.  I
am giving her brewers yeast and calcium in her soup for that, along with
Timmy's Recipe and the Red Clover Tumor-Be-Gone that Gary H sells.

The dosage is two capsules three x daily.  Would I give her one human dose
in a soup that makes two weeks worth of feedings?  Her soup is supplemental,
not her entire diet.