From:
MR CHARLES R ONKEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:45:59 -0500
I have noticed quite a few posts in the last few days about urinary tract
blockage.  One post mentioned that the ferret felt firm to the touch in the
lower tummy.  That is EXACTLY what I noticed when Cujo was blocked by
crystals.  We had surgery done at an emergency clinic, where they opened his
bladder and cleaned it out.  Two months later, however, he was blocked
again.  The area about half way between his ribs and his tail felt as hard a
s golf ball.  This time we took him to Dr. Jeff Shaffer at the East Orange
Animal Hospital in Orlando, FL.

Dr. Jeff operated on him for adrenals and again cleaned out his bladder.  He
took Cujo home with him, and called the next day to say he was still blocked
and Dr. Jeff wanted to do another operation.  This one involved opening the
urinary tract where it curves ahead just under the anus and making an
opening there.  The urethra was stitched to Cujo's skin.  Four days later,
Cujo was yanking on his cage, wanting to PLAY.  The stitches were removed
after about 10 day .  Cujo would urinate there instead of at his penis.  It
was either that or operate on the bladder every few weeks.  That, of course,
was not a real option.  The other option was to put him down.  Although Dr.
Jeff had not done the surgery before, we told him to go ahead.  Cujo's lower
bottom now has both male (nonworking), and female (working) urinary
openings.  The operation was done last summer, so Cujo has now had about 8
months with NO PROBLEMS!!!  (Ask BIG.  He has seen Cujo.) The number for Dr.
Jeff Shaffer is 407-275-3856.  The address is 11937 East Colonial Drive,
Orlando FL.  If there is a better ferret vet in the Orlando area, I would
like to know about it.

For now, Dr. Jeff is our vet, and the vet for Central Florida Ferret Friends
rescue and shelter.  I am convinced that Cujo is alive today ONLY because of
Dr Jeff and the operation he performed.

Charlie, Aggie and Donnna
in Kissimmee FL
WE remember Kodo, Rocky and the Spokane ferrets

(BIG....here is where you ad the moderator's note about how good Cujo looks
and that he, Bandit and Snowball are the cutest ferrets in Florida) :)

[Moderator's note: But I don't want to influence the "best picture" contest
we're having.  BIG]