From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 20:38:37 -0800
>From:    Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: a breeder clarification
>In a post a few days ago, the Killians posted a list of VA shelters, and
>stated that some were breeders.

Well someone has apparently been stirring up political trouble again.
Please just leave it alone!  We left off details as we knew it would be
taken politically.  We try very hard to leave that stuff out but it keeps
getting dregged up usually stealthily so as to cause the most damage.

Guardian Angel Rescue & Adoption
Tidewater area.  Does some breeding.

Just A Business of Ferrets Shelter
Most important breeder AND by FAR the largest shelter in Northern Virginia.
The Ferrets of Pet Pals used to be.

Misty Run ferrets
An extremely small shelter.  Something like 5 was considered full.  We
consider both folks (Charley and Tanya) involved to be friends.  Please
folks don't try to ruin that.

Ferret Rescue of Tidewater
We do not know much about these folks now.

The Ferrets of Pet Pals
Referral Service now.  Takes in some ferrets but in limitted numbers.  No
breeding as of this year.

Halfway House For Woebegone Weasels
This is us.  We have always taken in far more rescues than we bred kits.
We've also relocated to the Winchester area but still commute to the DC
metro area and thus "serve" that region as well.

Ferret Haven By-the-Sea
No breeding that we know of.  Lisa's on this list.

Dragon Run
Formerly breeder in the Tidewater are that also ran and a rather busy
shelter.  They've relocated to Winchester.

ACME Ferret Company
Chaotic Ferrets
These other two shelters listed on another "list of shelters" have turned
down every person we've known to be reffered to them so we don't think they
are really shelters.  Both have bred (one quite a bit but for a short time -
the other in the past but we are not aware of current activities).  We think
we know the reason that they list themselves as shelters though - but thats
a politics issue we'de rather be left closed.

There is also the shelter just starting up that doesn't breed.  We forget
the name its operating under - sorry...

Of the sizeable shelters in the North - all (three) that are shelters also
breed.  One "referal service" just stopped breeding.  One small shelter does
not and the new shelter does not.  One out of three in tidewater currently
does both.  At the beginning of last year it was a different "three" and two
thirds also bred.  We had said five of the eight we mentioned that time we
thought also bred.  Pam Grant informed us she "retired" so its four of those
eight.

There are at least two other breeders in Northern VA and one shelter that
has not been in contact with the "organized" ferret community.  There is at
least one other breeder a bit South of Winchester and we've heard about one
in the Southwest.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/