From:
Jim Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 15:17:43 +1300
wildlife, it mainly agrees with Bobs post....

Before I start I will mention that this post refers to the very specific
problem that exists in New Zealand.  In no way should the following examples
be used to argue against the legalisation of ferrets in California, as
mammalian predators (Mink) already exist in that state.

Yes its true and official; feral " ferrets have been recorded killing adult
kiwi in captivity and in the wild".  They continue to play a role in the
decline of many species of native New Zealand birds, insects and lizards.
Some of these species are still very much threatened and without human
intervention will become extinct within 50 years or so.  Although its a
fact, it isn't all the ferrets doing.  As Bob argued yesterday its a
question of degrees.

Dogs, stoats and cats have all been recorded predating on Kiwis.  Stoats eat
whatever ferrets eat and the two species co exist in the same habitat.  Yes,
ferrets DO eat and continue to play a role in the decline of native NZ
species, but so do other introduced species.

The ferrets (and others) are killing the remaining Kiwis (a large flightless
bird) left on mainland New Zealand.  Current mustelid control technology is
proving ineffective.  In some areas Kiwi eggs and chicks are being removed
and reared in captivity to combat the high mortality rate caused by
predation.

The stability that Bob claimed to exist between rabbits and predators has
recently been thrown in the rubbish bin.  Farmers recently illegally
released RCD, a rabbit killing virus.  The big fear now is prey switching.
With no rabbits to eat the predators (including tens of thousands of
ferrets) will switch to eating more of the native fauna.

On the brighter side, I own a ferret.  I live in the middle of some very
altered farmland and the chance of my ferret even encountering any native
species (except for the odd insect) are pretty remote.  Ferrets in New
Zealand aren't all bad, just the ones who've strayed too far to be welcome.

      Jim Young