From:
petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 21:54:31 -0600
>Am that "13 year old"?
>Just let me say a few things.  I'm NOT doing this on my own.  I DO have
>adults helping me start a shelter and i'm NOT religing on donations.  I am
>fully aware of the money that goes into ferret shelters.  I have been
>researching for about 3 years now.  I have also been saving money to start
>a shelter.  I am also aware of the hard work and time ...

Drew:

I commend your desire to help the ferrets by starting a shelter.  However,
I'm not sure that you really know what you're getting into.  My husband and
I have been running a shelter for about six months.  It is an incredible
amount of work and money.  So far, it has been financed entirely out of our
own pockets and with money from adoption fees.  We have also had to make
some hard decisions about adoptions and have lost a couple of shelter
ferrets.

You say that you are not relying on donations - if that is the case, why are
you posting on the FML asking for donations and information about companies,
etc.  that you could get donations from?

Are you prepared to deal with the people who will want to adopt every ferret
that you have?  Or the people who don't understand why you are charging
money for the adoptions?  Or the ferrets who will end up staying with you
because they are too sick to go elsewhere?  Can you stay up all night with
the sick ones?  More to the point, are your parents (or whatever adults that
are helping you) prepared to deal with this.  Do you have the time to teach
the biters not to?  What about school, play with friends, etc.?

When you ask the FML to support you, you have to expect people to ask hard
questions.  If you don't want to answer them, perhaps you should just go
ahead and do it with your own money and expertise.  And remember, you are
making a long term commitment to these fuzzies!

Sara and Kurt Petersen
FURRY (Ferrets Underfoot Running Round You)
Sol, Luna, Karice, Treska, Preen, Danyel, Cognac, Bandit, Fog, Skotter,
Buddie, Toccata and Spice