From:
Harry Silvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 09:56:11 -0500
As a business man I must say this is not the answer.  There would be a short
term benefit but, in the long term it would put us in worse shape.  As the
supply becomes smaller, the price goes up.  The large farms quickly increase
production to meet the demand and the higher profits.

My experience shows me we need to concentrate on a tactic of closing down
the sales outlets and that will force the large breeders to cut production.
What I have been done is at least temporarly shutting down one pet chain
that was putting 800-1000 ferrets a year into our area.  In that the stores
are in malls, the buying of the cute kit was more on a whim.  This chain has
chosen to give up $50,000.+ in direct pet sales and a like amount in add
ons.  Middle management realized they could not properly take care of the
kits.  He also realized that I was very serious about it when I filed a
WRITTEN complaint with the mall management.  Little did he realize that he
should of made his animal broker send him 8-10 week old kits instead of 6
week old ones.

This experience shows me we need to concentrate on a tactic of closing down
the sales outlets and that will force the large breeders to cut production.

As we visit the pet stores in our area, we have found an interesting thing
has been happening.  Several of the stores have been taking in unwanted
older ferrets.  They get them up to date on shots and then are reselling
them.  Is this happening in other areas of the country?  Are ferret
organizations encouraging and working with pet stores that are doing this?
Yes, I realize that the pet store gets more profit from an older ferret.  I
find nothing wrong with this, just good old American free enterprise.

Some of you may feel that we can never work with PET STORES!  I think we
need to, as it could be very beneficial to the ferrets.  Hope I am not
starting another firestorm but, guys we may be missing the boat.

Harry C. Silvis
The Kennesaw 10