Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:05:51 -0400
Dear AVMA web site,

Below is a letter that I am sending to the Ferret-mailing list.  I wanted
you to see a copy of it so that you would know my opinion and perhaps
understand my point of view.

Ferrets are not dangerous animals, they do not "attack" defenseless people
as the paragraph on the web site would suggest.  Ferrets do not get more
aggressive and unhappy in captivity, the only place where they survive in
the world today IS as a domestic animal.  They do not live in the wild.
The only ferret that might even be considered "undomesticated" is the Black
Footed Ferret which is on the endangered species lists, and in fact is so
endangered it also no longer lives in the wild.

I do not know who wrote the information that was put on your web site about
the ferrets but it is obvious that they have not treated or handled ferrets
much, if at all.  Ferrets are wonderful pets, delicate because of their size
and thus obviously should avoid being handled by young children who might
injure the ferret.  They can be litter trained (easily), taught to come when
called and perform other tricks, they are entertaining and energetic little
beings.

It would be fair to say not everyone should own a ferret as they require
considerable attention and exercise as well as a ferret-proofed area if
they are allowed free roam in a house or room (to protect the ferret more
than the house as they are susceptible to intestinal blockages and quite
inquisitive).  As for biting, like any animal they need to be trained as to
what is acceptable behavior and go through a "baby" stage like a puppy or
kitten would do.

In regard to the rabies information listed on the site, according to my
vet, he has never heard of a ferret with rabies, and they would be highly
unlikely to contract it as they can not survive in the wild.  It was correct
in stating that most states do however require rabies and canine distemper
shots for ferrets (as they do for dogs and cats).

I believe the information on the web site is very lopsided in the
information it presents, and in some cases is factually incorrect.  I would
hope that my letter and the issues it raises would be discussed and some of
the information changed to reflect a more accurate portrayal of a ferret as
a pet.

Karla Staudt