From:
KatKuckens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 17:50:50 EST
Thanks again to all who continue to write me with their ideas and hopes and
prayers.  My heart is heavier each passing day, yet your notes to keep me
going.

Thought I should share some results of things you have suggested to me.

Have-A-Heart traps:  I rented one and put Cody's in-need-of-washing hammock
and ferret food in it, and placed it in the brush pile near the house.  Two
days and nothing.  There are also pet carriers, blankets, and food in five
locations within 6 houses.  None of it has been touched.

Tracking/scenting dogs: A very kind detective agency told me that a friend
lost a pet baby racoon, and a guy claimed his hunting dog could find
anything.  It did, and killed the baby racoon on the spot.  So the detective
told me not to try it.

Very compassionate dog trainers at the search and rescue unit: their dogs
are trained to track human scent for lost people.  Yes, they could probably
be given a ferret blanket and then go find them, but it would undo years of
training.  The rescue dogs are trained NOT to follow the scent of another
animal.  Rescuing a ferret might undermine the dog's future ability to find
an injured person.  I understand this.

Posted more flyers farther away from home, and in pet stores.  Also in and
near the local elementary schools, and my son took them to the bus stop.  We
talked it up at the parents' night party, too.

Met an elderly Russian lady on a walk, who was astonished that anyone had
"pet" ferrets.  She said they had ferrets on the farm in Russia, which were
used to chase and catch rabbits.  "They lived outside all the time.  In
winter.  In Russia!  So don't worry."

Again thanks to FMLers for your caring and hoping.

Kat