From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 12:50:47 -0500
What wonderful question!! Delighted to see this!!

>... But as I understand Rabies (and I am not an expert), transmission among
>domestic animals requires some sort of exposure by either secretions or
>aerosolized droppings.  In the absence of other animals, with a
>ferret-proofed home (so nothing bigger than a ferret can get in either)
>where is the risk of rabies?  If I have bats in my attic, my risk for rabies
>is as great as my ferrets.  So why is vaccination routinely recommended?

Although I am merely a shelter Mom and not a vet-- We ask this too.  As it
is the facts are that the ferrets, although caged and supervised indoors,
will not get clean bill of health from epidemiologists.  They tend even
still to claim the probable bat theory and in fact humans would be at risk
as much as the ferret!

Cats and dogs do live and play in and out of doors where they can be
subjected to exposure vaccinations should be mandatory.  Ferrets on the
other hand rarely go out of doors unsupervised.  In the case of a stray who
is unclaimed -- we must assume there have been no vaccinations UNLESS a
titer check is performed.  Clearly the required vaccinations are for the
general protection of the ferret against the questioning health community.
I know there are several epidemiologists who read the list -- anyone care to
entertain this highly qualified question from a MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL?

And while we are on the issue-- as the country progresses toward a clearer
understanding of vaccinated ferrets, quarantines periods, etc., it is now
time to ask the rabies vaccine manufacturer -- Rhone Merieux to do the study
so ferret's can enjoy a vaccination once every three years like the canine
and feline counterparts do -- thus reducing risks of shock and reactions to
multiple vaccinations!!

Alicia
a shelter MOM