From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:48:42 -0500
We have a shelter ferret with probable cystic prostatic disease.  He is a 3
yr old neutered male with a very distended abdomen.  He has responded very
well to antibiotics (Baytril) but, after two weeks, the abdomen remains
softer but still distended and with a palpatable mass in the lower portion.
The mass is sizeable enough to push the kidneys out so they bulge under the
skin.  He eats and drinks well.  I have seen CPD on necropsy on other
ferrets and noted the large mass of tissue which comprises the capsule of
the abscess.  I wonder if this is what I feel and if surgery would be of any
help once the infection is resolved.  We did xrays but could only see other
organs being pushed aside by a foggy mass.  He urinates and defecates
normally at this point.  Stool was green before TX and is now normal
color/consistency.  Your comments and any experiences regarding this disease
will be greatly appreciated.

Ferret Rescue of the Western States, Colorado Springs, CO