From:
DuhShadw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 20:41:06 EST
Hi to all.  My name is Deb, and I have been a lurker for a LONG time.  I
have three babies of my own.  I'm just finishing college and I have a part
time job at a pet store here in Wisconsin.  I want to make a few comments
about that experience and ask a question at the end.

I've met a lot of people through my job and have answered a lot of questions
and have corrected A LOT of myths about ferrets.  I have been lucky to meet
a lot of people who love their ferrets as I love mine, and I want to share
some things with you:

1.  There are some employees of pet stores who know a lot about ferrets and
some who are real good at faking it.  I always tell my customers to ask for
me when they come.  I am not bragging, but I am the only one who has ferrets
and belongs to this chat group, Ferret Fanciers, etc.  When you go to a pet
store, ask for an employee who OWNS ferrets.  It's been hard, but I've had
to correct people that I work with right in front of customers because
they're telling them the wrong thing!

2.  Be outspoken--you're the customer!  A lot of my customers now come to
me and tell me when someone else I work with has told them some wrong
information about ferrets.  Please tell them yourself!  Believe me, they
will take it better from you than from me!  I think that this group on this
list knows a lot about ferrets, and you have a lot to teach people--
especially pet store employees!  Now, please don't be offended if there are
other people who work at pet stores on this list.  To you guys, keep on
keeping on!

3.  If you don't like the way the ferrets are being handled, be pro-active.
Ask the manager if you can bring in blankets instead of shavings.  I have
been working with my managers for a long time, and things change VERY
slowly.  Start petition lists, bring in materials, bring in facts that they
cannot dispute.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone.  It's very hard to be working from the
inside and I want to encourage you guys to be yourselves because you guys
are great and pet store ferrets need you!

OK, now to my question.  we have just received a new litter called SWHEAT.
It's wheat.  Should I be recommending this to my customers?  A couple have
asked and I said I would ask you guys :)  We do have paper-based, so that's
what I recommend now.  But is the SWHEAT ok?

Thank you all very much for your patience.  I hope this encourages you guys
and lets you know that there are some of us in the pet stores trying to make
conditions the best possible for the ferrets!

Sincerely,
Deb & Dan ( my fiance')
Kimmy, Zoey, and Gus (the ferts)