Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:08:29 -0500
From:
Susie Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: IMPORTANT FLORIDA news
>Diane Rogers called me to day with some good Florida news.  In light of the
>Compendium and of the new Florida policy to treat ferrets the same as dogs
>or cats are treated in terms of quarantine Representative Howard Futch is
>sponsoring legislation to FORMALIZE the use of quarantine rather than

Marie Wallace, Chairman of the Florida Coalition for Rational Rabies
policies has been working on this matter for the past two years, and in fact
posted information about this bill a couple of months ago, but to catch
everyone up here's the info.

Representative Futch has sponsored legislation to mandate rabies
vaccinations for ferrets and allow for a quarantine periods in bite/scratch
incidents.  This bill has been given the number HB3115, and is also to be
known as the "Mina Baxter Bill" after a girl whose ferret was destroyed.
This incident with Mina was what brought Marie into this lengthly battle.

While we have already received official word from Florida's Department of
Public Health that they will support the Compendium's suggested quarantine
period, we will proceed with the bill so that we will have the policy
written into the State's legislation.

For text of the bill, go to Florida Sunshine Online at
http://www.scri.fsu.edu/fla-leg/bills/1998-search/
or email me at the above address.

Happy ferreting!

Susie Sherman

Secretary, Florida Coalition for Rational Rabies Policies
Participant, Florida's Operation SAFE
Delegate, Brevard Ferret Lovers Rescue