Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 14:11:26 -0800
From:
Paige Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
A posting to the Toronto Internet Ferret Group and the FML sent out a cry
for help.  Randy had been contacted by the London SPCA that there were 60
ferrets kept outdoors in plywood boxes with no food or water, and could
anyone out there help a fuzzie.

My heart jumped, and the tears started.....I could not believe that this
could actually happen in our neighbourhood.  Yes, I answered...anything that
is within my power to save a ferret you can count me in.

I was not the only person to answer the call for help, a few more offers
were happily given from Canada, but even more support was offered from the
USA (thank you so much).  Housing and around the clock care for ailing
ferrets is not something you take lightly, and 60 ferrets is a lot of help
that is needed.  Finally we had enough backing to undertake such a huge
project, however that was only with the support of the States.  Fuzzies do
not know boundaries when it comes to being loved, and should we refuse to
help the babies due to lack of support in Canada?  No Way!!!

At this point, the weather outdoors was balmy and we were informed that the
London SPCA were keeping an eye on the ferrets.  Now the ceiling falls in on
our relative calm plans.  According to the SPCA, London has a "backyard
auction" and at this event, 31 ferrets were auctioned off at $15 dollars a
head.  The horrors that come to mind when you think of the life these
unaltered babies will have is unfathomable, how many more babies have to be
sold into an unknown life while the SPCA idly sit by and wait until January
2nd when the Holidays are over and they have the staff available to seize
and process the remaining ferrets?  Even at this time a ray of hope comes
through, 2 babies have been turned over to Mike at the SPCA.  Randy,
arranged for a couple from London who had previously joined in the call for
help to pick up the 2 babies they were interested in adopting.  Good news,
we were told the babies were happy and healthy.  Thank god we thought.  Now
panic set in once again.....The temperature dropped drastically, every news
station was reporting on extra beds being brought in for shelters and they
were calling for volunteers to help convince the people still out on the
streets to take shelter.  What about the poor babies?  Once again the SPCA
was contacted with a plead to move up the seizure date 24 hours....
unfortunately the staff was not available.  However, if we bought the babies
thus not having to worry about the seizure and subsequent
paperwork/processing they would volunteer their own time (on a holiday),
donate the vaccines and let us use the shelter as a base of operations.
What is money out of our own pocket vs. letting poor babies freeze to dea th
or be sold to who knows what?

The cry went out, postings to the FML and to the team of volunteers were
made.  8am the next morning, we drive to London.  We will be met at the
London SPCA shelter to be escorted to the ferrets.  At this time, we had
heard no messages about anyone at all wanting to help.  (I hope you don't
take offense BIG, but the FML is not something you normally read when you
are in a rush to save some lives, so we had no way to know that a separate
faction had decided to take over all organizations without informing us.)

In no way was this a walk in the park for any of us....The shock of where
the ferrets were kept, still wakes me up in the middle of the night.  But
even worse, we were not prepared for the reality of the ferrets conditions,
we were told they were healthy...instead we found 24 ferrets with teeth
chopped down to the root, feet imbedded with crude, bellies distended with
malnutrition and none with the strength to do more than accept a cuddle.
The part that still makes me cry is 4 ferrets "escaped" prior to our arrival
and due to bickering, we are too afraid of stepping on feet to go back to
London and see if they are still alive!

Please can we stop this stupid fighting and stop to look at the good, 24
ferrets lives were saved.  Now thanks to the cooperations of FAST, Ferret
Lovers, Petsmart and the Media every single one of these babies have a
waiting list of perspective parents, all looking for nothing more than to
love these poor ferrets for their entire life, and teach them how good this
life can be.

Paige Townsend