Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 21:09:56 -0800
From:
Paige Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Originally I was planning to post about our adventures/horrors of the 23
ferrets that we rescued from London Ontario in a day or two after we knew
all of the babies had survived and everyone involved had calmed down enough
to get a proper nights sleep.

New Years day a crew of 8 concerned ferret owners drove up to the London
SPCA to rescue any of the babies that were still alive.  My biggest dread
was that we may be too late, our New Years Eve hit temperatures of -15C not
counting the wind chill factors.  We were escorted to the Junk Yard where
these ferrets were kept in plywood boxes on the ground (most buried in
snow).  The ferrets were kept in 3 separate pens surrounding the property
cesspool as explain by the SPCA.  A group of us were directed to a "box" at
the far end of the pool, at first it appeared empty.  We finally found a
hatch that allowed us to see the babies for the first time.  They were
huddled together using each others body heat to stay alive.  There was no
water anywhere in the box, and the only food available was a pile of goat
chow that had been placed in there for the ferrets to eat.

With team work we were able to remove 23 ferrets back to the London SPCA
office, unfortunately 4 babies "escaped" before we arrived at the site ( I
pray that they are alive somewhere where they can get help).

The next stage of the rescue was executed like a well planned dance.  At the
office the babies were given their first water in who knows how long, fed
food that they could actually digest, given their first distemper shot by
the shelter veterinarian, sexed, checked for immediate medical care, nails
clipped and hugged.  Only with the team work of all involved (thanks to the
orchestration of the ferret aid society) we were able to migrate all these
sweet hearts from a life of fear and desperation to one of contentment in so
short a time.  The atmosphere at the shelter was amazing, all of a sudden
every baby knew it was safe and comfortable....a feeling a peace permeated
the entire room.

At this stage I would like to give a huge thankyou to the PetSmart in
Missasauga.  The babies are from a completely unknown environment, the last
thing any of us wanted to do was risk the fuzzies that we currently have (as
each of us own our own ferts and love them with all of our hearts).  Thanks
to the generous offer of PetSmart, we were given use of their entire
adoption centre to house these sweethearts while the are checked by our
vets.  This way we do not risk introducing any possible diseases between
existing and new ferrets.

With continuing team work we have had at least 3 experienced ferrets owners
with these ferrets at all times.  Our main concerns right now is nutrition.
Every baby came to us bloated due to "poor" nutrition and all their canines
have been chopped (some up to the root) so we have to ensure that all are
able to eat, drink, and poop.  I am happy to say all seem to be coming
around very well (and I have never been kissed soooo many times in my life
by happy ferrets).

Another thing that has been incredible is the support that has been
generated for these babies.  We appeared on 2 different TV stations and were
mentioned on at least 3 different radio stations.  Petsmart has been filled
all day with loving people all interesting in giving a ferret a good home.
I personally have not seen any of the news reports, however I have
"educated" so many people in the last day about the joys and hazards of
ferret love that I know we made a difference for all ferret kind.  It is our
hope (and thanks to Petsmart and the Media attention I believe it maybe
possible) that every single ferret can be placed in a truly loving household
that are looking for a lifetime companion.

The last few days have been chaotic and we are not done yet, there is still
lots to do to hopefully ensure these babies have the happy full life that
every animal on this planet should have.  I will continue to post as to the
ferrets progress.

Thank you for the support everywhere in the world and team work that is
helping each and every one of these poor ferrets.

Paige Townsend