Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:25:25 EST
Hello Everyone,

This is not an endorsement of the person in CA asking for funds, I have no
idea who that is and the comments implying that they have received ferrets
from the AG Stations is very disconcerting, but it is meant as a
clarification of the situation involving ferret rescue here in California.
Only specific rescue volunteers, who consist of CDFA, FA, and CFL members
(and possibly Golden State as well), are authorized via the permit issued to
Bill Phillips to pick up ferrets from DFG, humane agencies, animal control,
police stations, and the Agricultural Inspection Stations (I set this last
program up and know first hand that only specified volunteers are allowed to
take possession of these ferrets and they must be transported immediately
out of state).  Ferrets rescued from any of the above must be shipped out of
state and receipts shown for that transportation.

People who are not on this list should not receive ferrets from these
sources, or pretend to be some kind of authorized ferret rescue.  However,
there are times when ferrets are given up by their owners without being
confiscated by the State, and calls surely end up going to individuals, pet
stores, or even veterinarians, asking for help in their placement.  The
above organizations may, or may not, be involved in this kind of "rescue."
Frankly neither CFL, nor I take these kinds of calls because I don't have
the time.  But there are people in CA that are not on the CDFA list who have
voluntarily cared for unwanted ferrets here and this activity is not a
threat to the CDFA permit.  No one has made CDFA the ferret police, and I'm
sure CDFA doesn't want that title, only DFG rates that moniker.  What is a
threat to the CDFA permit is if someone pretends to represent a member of
the CDFA rescue organization, or CDFA rescue, receives a ferret from one of
the above organizations, and doesn't ship that animal out of state.  I ask
that no one insinuate him or herself into that kind of situation.  It's
important not to jeopardize the rescue permit.

But clearly, there are other people besides CDFA doing ferret rescue in
California.  People who may come into contact with a ferret owner who cannot
care for their ferret via a pet store or vet's office have offered to help
out in some instances and good for them.  To say this never happens, or
shouldn't happen, is to imply that every ferret has to be delivered to CDFA
and they don't.  The permit issued to Bill Phillips allows CDFA to work with
individuals who are committed to following the strict guidelines issued by
DFG which involves picking up ferrets from the above sources and shipping
them out of state.  If an individual who owns a ferret in CA can no longer
care for that ferret and knows that his/her neighbor is a ferret lover and
will care for it until a new home is found, who is to make that person call
CDFA?  I doubt some have even heard of CDFA.  Obviously, however, both of
these scofflaws should know that they are breaking the law by owning and
receiving that ferret-- along with the other 250,000 ferret owners in CA.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization (CFL)
410 Mountain Home Road  Woodside, CA  94062
http://www.ferretnews.org-- CFL Website
CALIFORNIANS, YOU CAN FIND OUT YOUR STATE SENATOR BY VISITING THIS SITE!!
CALL AND WRITE YOUR SENATOR AND GOV. WILSON--DON'T LET OUR BILL DIE!
For pure ferret fun, check out http://www.ferretcalendar.com