Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:12:01 -0800
To the poster in Brasil who has access to Purina Pro-Plan and not much
else...

I've seen that stuff here in the states...it's Purina's attempt at a
"high-end" cat and kitten food to compete with better stuff that we see in
the US only in pet supply places and pet shops.  I don't recall the exact
numbers, but when I examined a bag of the kitten formula, it looked to be
inadequate...corn as a vegetable bulk base, not enough fat content.  I think
fat was down at 10% or less, %18-20 is far better.

It'd be OK as an "emergency" feed (like when you run out at midnight and the
24hour grocery store has it) but long term?  I suspect it would cause the
usual symptoms of inadequate feed such as low energy, brittle fur and
possible health complications down the line.

I'm not a top fert nutrition expert, though.  For those on the FML who are:
any ideas about what he could supplement this stuff with?  It's not
*terrible*, the way standard grocery-store feed is...the protien is from
animal sources, mostly.  Maybe add a mixture of chopped liver, low-grade
high-fat hamburger meat and some linatone?  Just kicking concepts around...
hmmm...better idea would be to get with some other fert-people in your town
and get together on bulk shipping of something better, especially Totally
Ferret...but Iams Kitten would be an improvement.

Ideas?  Does anyone have more exact #s on the pro-plan?

Jim March

[Moderator's note: Regular ProPlan is 14% fat, 31% protein.  BIG]