From:
Michelle Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:36:09 -0600
While I was at the North American Veterinary Conference in Orlando earlier
this month, among the keynote speakers were Dr. Rosenthal and Dr. Hoeffer at
AMC in New York.  Dr. Hoeffer presented on adrenal disease in ferrets and
she has seen the problems with cystic tissue in the male and female
significant enough to cause urinary blockage.  She called it "cystic
urogenital disease" because it's not just prostatic.  It happens in males
and females.  She recomended immediate treatment of the blockage if present
and adrenal tumor removal as a treatment.  She said it has been attempted by
their surgeons to drain and debulk the cystic tissue, but in her experience,
the problem has completely resolved with the removal of the tumor and no
debulking of the cystic tissue.  I have the proceedings from that conference
and could elaborate if anyone is interested.  There were also many other
ferret lectures if anyone is interested.

          Thanks, Michelle