From:
Gail Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:00:07 -0500
Ferret sized hazards abound!

Here's the latest on one of my ferrets (this is almost funny--if it were not
so terribly pathetic)--I was in the kitchen today and heard a can being
banged against the wall.  I looked and saw an empty (let's call it a "soda"
can) can behind the refrigerator jogging up and down as if of its own will.
I looked around the other side of the refrigerator and saw a ferret --Clyde--
bobbing his head up and down like a chameleon defending his territory.  Can
on one side, ferret on the other?  What's going on here?  Segue to hubby's
handyman projects.  Hubby recently installed that self-stick baseboard stuff
in our kitchen.  Said stuff became dislodged behind the refrigerator and
turned into a ferret sticky trap--which caught a ferret at one end (who was
trying to get his neck and paws unstuck) and a can that fell behind the
refrigerator at the other end.  Thus, ferret wiggles head, can wiggles, can
bangs on wall, mom comes to rescue ferret.  Par for the course, as in one of
my previous ferret capers, doorbell (not phone) rings and this time it is
our condominium exterminator to do a quick check.  I tell him yes, but I
need to hurry to rescue a ferret who is stuck behind the refrigerator.  He
decides to be helpful and says, "Oh, don't squash the ferret who is behind
the refrigerator." I say, yes, I know but he is stuck there.  He thinks
Clyde is just unable to get out, I keep trying to say he is REALLY STUCK.
Finally, we get to Clyde who now has a tail, four feet and a shoulder
engaged tightly on a slab of glue-ridden plastic--and the exterminator says,
"Oh, he really was STUCK behind the refrigerator." Clyde just looked
miserable.  I had to pull him off body part by body part.

So, even for a ferret life can turn into a wad of flypaper.  You just have
to get unstuck from it now and again.

Clyde is fine--got freed just this side of panic city.  He was beginning to
get that wide-eyed look just before getting really anxious.

Bye from Clyde and Bonnie (who for a change was not in the middle of this
one),

Gail and Bob