From:
STARFerret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:22:41 EST
                            Hildy Langewis
                       CDFA Rescue Coordinator
                            P.O. Box 1991
                          Los Altos, CA 94023
                      (650) 917-0346   Phone/Fax

January 26 1998

To: Anonymous

Re: California Rescue

I was distressed to receive your anonymous post soliciting donations for
your underground shelter & rescue in California.  Unless you have a permit
from the California Department of Fish & Game, I ask that you refrain from
billing yourself as a ferret rescue person.  To my knowledge, the only
permit issued is to William Phillips, the Executive Director of the
California Domestic Ferret Association.  I was originally appointed by Mr.
Phillips to oversee the CDFA rescue program.  This is now an elected board
position, although I still answer to Mr. Phillips because the permit is
issued in his name.

Concerning confiscations at the state agricultural inspection stations, the
CDFA is the only organization authorized to transport ferrets from the
stations to destinations in Nevada, Oregon, and Arizona.  ALL RESCUE FERRETS
ARE TRANSPORTED OUT OF STATE.  For you to imply otherwise compromises our
permit and relationship with Fish & Game.

For example, the situation with the babies that were bitten in Orange
County.  The ferret's owner claimed they got the ferrets from a rescue
person.  No way did they get the ferrets from a CDFA volunteer, but because
someone claimed to be a ferret rescue person our rescue program was
jeopardized.  Because of this, in Southern California we are required to
hire a courier and transport ferrets by commercial airline.  Each ferret we
save costs the CDFA approximately $200.  We just shipped out 27 ferrets at a
cost of $400.  These funds are paid out of the CDFA treasury, which is
funded by memberships and donations.  If you really want to help rescue,
please join CDFA and allow us to concentrate on handling rescues through
official channels.

Although I believe you have the best intentions, please do not ignore the
big picture.  To save a handful of ferrets you may be placing hundreds of
ferrets in jeopardy.  I hope the laws will change soon, and then you will be
able to realize your desire to run a ferret shelter.  In the meantime get
involved with the CDFA, Ferrets Anonymous, and Californians for
Legalization.  Together we can accomplish so much more than one person
alone.

Sincerely,

Hildy Langewis
CDFA Rescue Coordinator