From:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 20:26:30 -0800
First off in case others were confused.  The bonobo is also called the
pygmy chimpanzee (pan paniscus) as opposed to the chimpanzee (pan
troglodytes).

>From:    Toni Brown <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help
>I just received a call on my answering maching.  It was from a man saying he
>was from the Dept of Ferret Control.

So do you have a friend with a strange sense of humor?

>From:    Toni Cantley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: question for breeders
>Am I mistaken, or have breeders said that breeding two albinos does not
>result in a full litter of albinos?

We would be rather surprised at a non-albino from two albino parents.  When
albino and sable are thought of sable is dominant and albino is simple
recessive.  There is some disagreement about wether albino is simple
recessive with chocolate.  We tend to think albino is like palomino genetics
in horse (or the blue merle in collies).  Some think it is simple recessive
there as well.

There very well might be two genetic makeups for albino though making both
of the above "correct".

There are a few that believe in a red-eyed-white that is not albino.  But
its definition is rather specious.  It would make the definition of sable
also need to be changed.  If a REW is an albino from a non-albino parent
than why is a sable from an albino the same "color" as a sable from two
sables?

>From:    Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AFA survey

We declined to respond the first time.  But we do not think that the
description at that URL sounds like a vivisectionist or the like.  We
actually are glad that someone is interested in actually studying ferrets
rather than making up facts.

It is possible the AFA did not fully research this Doctor before agreeing to
assist.  But they also may have concluded that it would be better to study
ferrets as ferrets rather than only as vaccine recipients.  We haven't
checked with an authority at the AFA.  Glenn, if you do then send email to
the AFA and find out.

Even if you are right that she is going to seek an NIH grant it will not be
in the millions of dollars.  If it was she would be able to BUY Path Valley
or possibly even Marshall Farms for that kind of money.

Any further discussion on this would appear to us to be an animal rights
discussion rather than a ferret discussion.

>From:    "Sue M." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: food/club/etc.

About the etc.  The incident took place in Pat Wright's home as we
understand.  Not out in public.  The only person that has stated that the
ferret was known to be a nipper was somone whose word is not one we trust.
We are all arguing about something we do not know about.  Not flaming Sue
nor anyone else but just pointing out that perhaps the facts debated are not
fully understood.  Until Pat himself says that his ferret was known to be a
problem then we will not assume that he was.  Hopefully this will be our
last post on that topic.

About Excell - we haven't tried it but we seem to remember others that did
and liked it.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/