From:
Ingella Arwidsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:52:15 +0100
Here some info from Sweden about hair loss and/or thinning hair.  I bought
my first ferret in 1980 from a mink farm and she was of course not
domesticated at all.  In Sweden there was no litterature and no knowledge at
that time so I had to buy books in England and let my vet practice on her.
Since then I have had 8 individuals, male and female and they have been very
individual and personal all of them.

At present I have one male and one female which I have taken care of.  The
male was found under a barn where he lived a whole winter - and the winters
are cold here - lots of snow and sometimes - 20 degrees C and less.  People
had given him a little rug and were feeding him with pizza and stuff until I
took him on.  He is now approximately 6-7 years and very healthy.

The female was bvought for a little girl but when she was playing and
stinking the father just put her outside in the rainy cold authumn night.  I
took care of her too and she is now approx 5-6 years old.  Ellen was the
third of my ferrets loosing her hair - first on her tail and than going
upwords the body.  I have had to put 2 of my earlier ferrets asleep at the
age of 8 years because of hair loss that nobody could explain.  Now this
time I read somewhere that the reason might be a tumor on the adrenal gland
and that in that case cortisone would help.  I discussed with my vet and he
said X-ray is of no use as nothing would be seen.  (too small) Anyway I gave
her cortisone, 0,5 mg every day for about 5 weeks, than every second day for
another 2 weeks, then once a week for another 3 weeks and now!  I set out
the cure 1 month ago and her fur is looking better than ever.  Talk to your
vet.

LAMB EUROPE
Ingella Arwidsson