From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:57:45 -0500
>From:    Kathy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: I'm guilty!

When I posted that one of the 1st questions people ask about ferrets is
"Does it bite?"  I meant to say "Don't they bite?"  Confirming with an owner
if it's OK to pet an unfamiliar animal is perfectly legitimate.  I always
tell people, especially children, that they should always check w/the owner
if it's OK before attempting to pet any animal they don't know.  I can't
tell you how many times I've had to say "NO FINGERS PLEASE" intercepting a
kid from putting fingers into a cage or carrier while the parents stood
looking on w/a clueless grin.  But I'm always amazed when people ask the
question w/the assumption that all ferrets bite as if to say 'why would you
want to own it & how can you hold one?'  They have an unsupported
preconceived notion that ferrets are dangerous, but wouldn't hesitate to
pet an unfamiliar 90lb dog.  You're not guilty, you're intelligent.

LONG LIVE KODO

Juliana
Frodo, Rocks, Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu,
Chaos, Tuxedo, Bijou, Fiasco, & Dazzle