From:
JANNA REINARZ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:49:08 -0600
Another thing you can do to modify the Midwest playpen, no tools or
woodworking experience required, is to order additional shelves from the
manufacturer (1-800-428-8560).

We ordered 3 of them: put two on the second floor under the upper
ladder(there will still be enough room between this and the original second
floor shelf for the fuzzies to get through) and the third on the third floor
opposite the original third floor shelf.  Connect the third floor shelves
with a piece of 4 inch PVC pipe(your local hardware store will cut it for
you) tied to the back of the cage, and tah-da- much more usable cage space!
Total cost was less then $30 if I remember right.

Another suggestion I have heard for getting more hammock space in the cage
is to A) get/make hammocks big enough to attach to the sides of the cage
rather than hang from the top, and B) make a hammock like this: get two
pieces of (sturdy) wooden dowel long enough to reach through the bars of the
cage,front to back (a bit over 2 feet).  Get a piece of some nice fuzzy
fabric (or an old towel,etc.), sew a pocket into 2 sides of it, to slide the
dowels through(heck, you don't even need to sew, get some good safety pins).
With our modified Midwest cage, this hammock fits well on the second floor,
under the ladder.

Our midwest cage is set up as described above, with litterbox, food, and
water on the ground floor, and another water bottle on the third floor.  The
single shelves are covered with pieces of old towel, cut to fit and pinned
or tied to the cage so they don't slip, and there's a nest of old t-shirts
on the large side of the second floor.  There is also a cardboard box "hidey
hole" with a blankie in it on the ground floor next to the litterbox, for
ferrets who are feeling too lazy to climb the stairs :)

Note to Palsha's-
8 weeks is still really little, I'm sure your little guy will catch on to
the stairs.  Until he's comfortable with climbing them on his own, I would
give him some blankies to sleep in on the first floor.  Putting blankets on
the first floor may help with getting him to use the box, too.  Also, how
high are the sides of the litter box?  you may want to cut down a bit of an
entrance for him, since his little 8-week old legs might have a bit of
trouble navigating a full size litter box edge.

Janna and Aron
Einstein, Daisy & Bandit