From:
Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:59:32 -0500
Rhiannon wrote:

>I showed him the boys, he thought they were cute (they are!!  One is a
>silver colored male, the other a dark-eyed white) so I left them to 'bond'.
>He said they were trying to bite him!  I refused to beleive my boys could
>do such a thing when they are so sweet and loving to me?  There every move
>just beggs me to take them home!!  The question is, could they possibly not
>like his scent or his voice?  (very deep voice) I don't think it was fear
>or anything he really likes all the little guys.  (and girls)

Hi, Rhiannon. (Lovely name you have, by the way.)

It's possible that it could have been your boyfriend's voice or scent that
the ferrets disliked.  My Claudia doesn't seem to like a friend of mine who
has a very high, almost squeaky voice.  This woman has tried to make friends
with Claudia, and although Claudia doesn't bite or attack her, she
definitely goes out of her way to avoid her.  And scent could be a factor as
well.  I've learned that my Zorro, who is usually a cuddler, doesn't want to
be held when I'm wearing certain perfumes (he particularly dislikes
Emeraude).  Was your boyfriend wearing any type of after-shave or cologne?

Another possibility is that those ferrets prefer women to men. I've not
encountered this with my ferrets, but my dog is definitely a "woman"
dog...he doesn't like men at all. Hopefully that's not the problem. If they
object to his scent or his voice the problem could be remedied by a change
of toiletry items or by his using a different tone of voice when speaking
to them.

"I'm never alone; I'm alone all the time."
              --G. Rossdale
                "Glycerine"