From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:46:56 +0000
>From:    David Terrell Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Adrenal Disease
>As it turns out, my ferret (Grover) appears to have Ferret Adrenal Disease.
>He has all the classic symptoms: hair loss, sluggishness, difficulty
>urinating, loss of muscle control in the back legs.

Dear David.
Since your fuzzy is a rescue, there is no way to tell how advanced his
adrenal disease is, nor how long he has had difficulty urinating.  A very
serious symptom of adrenal disease is an enlarged prostate, which leads to
more constant, but less, urination.  The end result of this may be a urinary
tract blockage and, once your fuzzy is at risk for this (as your fuzzy very
likely is since he has the set of classical adrenal symptoms) he could block
up anytime.  I learned the hard way that a ferret blocking up is not like a
cat blocking up; the tract is much smaller and harder to clear.  The end
result to blockage may well be death.  It was to our sweet fuzzy, Percy.
One day he was doing his oft backing into corners, the next he blocked up,
two more days (at the vet and in surgery) and he was gone.  I know of other
adrenal fuzzies who have died a similar death.

Percy was scheduled to see a very experienced vet who was going to start him
on therapy (see below) to decrease the prostatic enlargement, and kill off
the adrenal tissue.  He never made his appointment, to our grievous
surprize.

I don't mean to scare you, but please get Grover to an experienced ferret
vet.  He may or may not have had adrenal surgery before; since you don't
know his histroy an experienced vet is all the more important.  An
experienced fuzzy vet can make ALL the difference, if you can find one.
This is not to demean hardworking fuzzy vets who are gaining experience; but
if you can find a vet experienced at treating adrenal disease with surgery
and chemical therapy you will put you and Grover in good stead.

I run a medical list, the Ferret Adrenal/Insulinoma Mailing List, that
anyone is welcome to join; it is sent out in digest form once to twice a
week, or as needed.  Please, anyone, feel free to e-mail me for more
information.

>I am considering surgery to remove the adrenal glands.  Can anyone share
>with me their experiences with such a procedure?

That isn't a simple question.  My educated guess is that the majority of
fuzzies develop adrenal disease symptoms within a year of surgery.  But it
is certainly worth it as it may buy a year (sometimes more, sometimes less)
of good, chemical-free quaility time for a fur kid.

Not all adrenal growths are operable and that is where other treatments come
in.  For our adrenal fuzzy, who is doing great, furry and energetic, we've
chose a combination of Lysodren (but not as intense a dose as has been
commonly presribed for some time, which may be responsible for our fuzzy not
having had a bad reaction to this chemo drug) and Lupron, which in theory
interrupts the pituitary/hypothalamic feedback loop and/or block estradial
receptors... in short, Lysodren kills off adrenal tissue, and Lupron hits
the disease (in theory, and I've seen it work) at the point where it
bombards the adrenal tissue with stimuli that causes it to mutate.  Lupron
can help with urinary problems nearly immediately.

A good vet will palpitate the abdomen to feel for adrenal tumors.  Then they
will recommend ultrasound or exploratory surgery.  Even if the ultrasound
finds nothing, surgery is often warranted based on the symptoms.  I won't go
more in depth here... except to say that my recommendation is to get a
baseline estradial test (I understand this hormone is usually elevated in
adrenal disease and is the cause of hair loss) in case chemotherapy is
needed later, or treatment is administered in another fasion... something
with which to track progress or lack thereof down the line.

There are other causes for difficulty urinating.  The first thing a vet will
probably do is test for a urinary tract infection... Percy was treated three
times for this, and his less experienced vet (no longer our vet) claimed
that ferret prostates weren't proven to exist and, anyway, he hadn't
discovered an enlarged prostate during exploratory surgery (though Percy was
having difficulty urinating at that time)... so the antibiotics for a
urinary tract infection didn't help.  Crystals form due to the inflamed
prostate, but again this is a symptom, and the underlying cause, if that's
what is the problem, MUST be treated or the fur kid probably won't recover.

Some people don't choose surgery because of a fuzzy's age; my next choice
would be Lysodren; others choose herbal therapies... But I'd go for the
bigger, faster guns wiith an enlarged prostate.  If enlarged, it is circling
the urethra and may eventually block all flow.

Plus, no one should have to live with a random, souffle of hormones
bombarding their system day in and day out... which is what occurs in
adrenal disease.

Okay, I've said enough!

In memory of Percy, our adrenal fur kid lost to
ignorance; and in honor of Wally, who appears to be
thriving on our chosen therapy... and a hope and prayer
for all adrenal fur kids....
        Lynn