From:
"Mary L. McCarty" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:40:25 -0500
>The vet stated Buster had an alergic reaction to the shots.  He was given

It is recommended to have the rabies and distemper shots given at least two
weeks apart. It is also a wise move to wait in the vet's office anywhere
from 30 minutes to one full hour after the shots are given in case of an
allergic reaction. I believe that it is the distemper shot that normally is
associated with the reaction - has anyone ever had a reaction to the rabies
shot?

Your vet may also want to administer a dose of Benadryl before giving the
distemper shot, which is supposed to help prevent a reaction from occuring.

There is no way that I can tell why some ferrets react and some don't - out
of the many ferrets that pass through our shelter, I have only had one ever
react to a distemper shot (Fervac D). It was indeed a horrible thing to
witness and scared the bejesus out of me, but we were lucky. Bear recovered
shortly after that.

Mary and the gang of 8....

Mary McCarty-Houser
Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association