From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 18:43:14 -0700
[log in to unmask] wrote:
>I was also wondering if anyone has ever made a long car trip with a ferret.
>We just drove from Virginia to Massachusetts and back.  She did really well,
>considering.  She was the hit of every rest stop.  But I was wondering what
>kind of travel cage to use or what I could do to make it more comfortable
>for her.

Our first ferret, Small, made several trips from Virginia to Boston with us
when we lived back East.  He also attended a wedding in Philadelphia, made
two vacation trips from Virginia to Colorado and back, and of course
traveled with us when we moved to Colorado.  Small loved to travel and
always made lots of friends en route.  His "ferret travel trailer" was a
small-dog sized Vari-Kennel which we fitted with a litter box (a Rubbermaid
storage container that just fit across the back of the kennel) secured with
Velcro to the floor, a blanket, a clip-on food bowl (came with the kennel)
and a water bottle for use at rest stops.  Don't leave the water bottle on
the cage when the car is moving, or you'll have an empty bottle, soaked
bedding, and a disgruntled ferret.  We carry a gallon jug of water from home
to avoid digestive disturbances (as you empty the jug, top it up with local
water for a gradual adjustment).  For multiple ferrets, use a larger kennel;
if you're the least bit handy, you can rig a sleeping shelf in a big one.

We have since used the same arrangement for car trips with all of our
ferrets, with great success.  When we moved out here we had 6 Vari- Kennels
in our truck, and only one dog :-).  We use these for taking our crew to the
vet, too (omitting the food and water for this short trip) -- makes it very
easy to keep track of who's been examined, vaccinated, etc. and who is still
awaiting attention.

Be sure to secure the kennel in the car so that it can't tip over or shift
around (wedging suitcases and other essential "stuff" around it works fine).
Ours seem to travel best on the back seat.

One word of advice for those traveling with ferrets: it is next to
impossible to ferret-proof a motel room, so if you let them out to stretch
their legs, you've got to watch them *every minute*.  And never liberate
more at one time than you have ferret-watchers in your party to follow them
around.  We dismantled a lot of motel furniture before we figured this out!
Motel bathrooms are usually pretty ferret-safe; we now set up food, water,
blanket, toys, and a full-size litter box in the bathroom when we travel,
toss the weasels in, and close the door.  They have a wonderful time, can't
hurt themselves, and any mess they manage to make is easily cleaned up
before we leave (empty the litter box into a plastic bag for disposal).  Be
sure that all ferrets are confined -- in their kennels or in the bathroom --
before you open the door to your room.

All of our ferrets have loved to travel, and it's very little extra trouble
to take them along.  Just remember that noplace you visit will be as
ferret-proof as your own home; a little paranoia can go a long way toward
keeping them safe.

Bon voyage,

ellen & the Well-Traveled Ferrets