Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 02:57:39 -0800
The AP article on the San Diego Freedom March was in our local paper as
well....The Reno Gazette-Journal, 2 January, 1998.

Funny how two different people can read two different things out of the
same article.

I found the article, which was a half page in length with two pictures, to
be well written and very ferret positive.  Yes, the bite was mentioned, as
was an infant biting incident that ocurred several months ago, but in one
very short paragraph.  The rest of the article was composed with quotes from
Pat Wright, Chris Kibler, and Gayle Cichocki, and factual information on the
status of ferrets in California and Hawai, by the reporter, Paula Story.

Actually, it appeared to me that the reporter made more of an issue of a dog
lunging at a marcher than the cameraman's ferret encounter.

So, in my opinion, the article was great.  Ferrets were presented in a very
positive light, and the the people interviewed were shown as people, not pet
fanatics trying to prove a point with rediculous claims.

I have already been taken to issue over my stand on the Freedom Walk by some
particpants in an ICQ ferret chat channel I frequent.  If I lived closer, I
would have participated.  I did the next best thing..silly me, I sent
pictures of my ferts and asked a friend in San Diego to carry them on the
march.  I feel this type exposure is the only way Californians are going to
recognize how rediculous their state's laws are and force changes.  I go as
far as to say, there should be a California-wide Freedom Day march and all
500,000 or so ferret owners should come 'out' and show the world they are
not the minority in California certain agencies would have us believe.  No
way would any government agency in California be a party to arresting that
many people and impounding that many ferrets.  Government agencies are fed
by politicians and no way would the politicians jeopardize their re-election
chances by allowing a mass arrest of their constituants and their pets.

Pat Wright, I am behind you all the way, even though I don't live in
California, I reside but a matter of feet from the border.  What happens in
California, affects me.

MC (The rude one)
Reno, Nevada
Garret: How come I didn't get to go on a walk in the park, Dad?
Snorkle:  I just love tall grass..was there lots to play in, Dad?