From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:31:28 -0800
It is very important that there be shelters for the many ferrets needing
care.  I would like to urge everyone to support their ferret shelter.  Each
one needs our help.

I'd also like to urge caution in responding to anyone asking us to donate
money, cages, toys, or other items, for any new shelter start-up.  One
cannot begin any type of business venture by asking for donations.  I feel
it is very important that we all understand we are being solicited by
children.  It is my heartfelt opinion that 13 year old children have neither
the resources, nor the experience to operate a ferret shelter.  Very often,
ferrets need to be picked up from situations where no parent should allow a
13 year old to venture.  Important medical decision need to be made about
some of these rescue animals, and an account with a vet must be established.
Anyone who knows it is legal for a 13 year old to contract for medical
services for rescue ferrets, feel free to jump in and correct me, but I
believe that it is not.

I've had personal contact with the 13 year old in question, and my opinion
has been affected by this.  I'm not trying to say that being youthful
precludes being knowledgeble.  If I heard that Courtney Killian were
starting a ferret shelter, my backing would be 100 percent.

Support your shelters,

Georgia