From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:48:33 -0500
The reasons I have been asking so much about old (over nine years of age)
ferrets, their breeders, their sources, what their living conditions
are/were like, and whether age is known (had since kit or have firm records)
or estimated (other) are multi-fold.  Part of it is because 'Chopper the
Organic Helicopter, though only 6 and several months) was hit so hard by ECE
(Some others hit hard, too, but not that badly.) that anyone seeing her who
did not already know differently would think she was much older so we want
to do all we can to help her.  She changed dramatically.  There are others
in this position who want to learn as well, and still more who want to learn
about ancient ones to help their hardy ferrets (We also fit this subset.).
Another reason is because I often wind up in correspondence with individuals
who have sick ferrets and there were some recently who weren't treating
ferrets because some of the more flaming dialog here led them to believe
that it would make no sense to treat ones from certain sources.  It breaks
my heart, and some put off treatment for too long.  Now, I don't know about
some of you, but Steve and I sure have many years of experience with ferrets
(around 15) and have been here a long time (as in being involved with the
origin of the FML) and what we have noticed from the experiences of many,
many owners is: ferrets are tough and practically any ferret given half a
chance to get better will try to do so.  It doesn't matter if the ferret has
survived several illnesses, had operations in the past, been bred by a
family breeder or a large one, or come from a shelter.  They are tough, they
are hardy, and in pretty well any group there are going to be ancient ones
(except among some which from the backyard breeders who interbred siblings
or parents with children and the like, and didn't cull lines with health
problems -- and sometimes even then an oldster will emerge).  Give them a
chance!  The final reason was because I think that new owners and those
considering ferrets need to know there are ferrets nine years old and over
even thought they are rare.

Sukie