From:
Julie Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 09:41:44 -0500
Here is my (second) message to the Spokesman-Review regarding Doug Clark's
lovely article, in case they fail to add it to their web page:

You didn't print my original response, even though it contained no libel or
profanity, so I am trying again.  I am a ferret owner and a vegan.  I live
every day of my life with the understanding that all animals - humans,
ferrets, chickens, cows, pigs, sheep, wombats, aardvarks, and even bugs -
have the capacity to think and feel pain, and therefore deserve my respect
and compassion.  I mourn the needless murder of 93 ferrets.  I mourn the
systematic killing of 1.2 million chickens.  I mourn the government approved
torture and abuse of seven billion farm animals in our own country each
year.  There are not enough candles in the entire world to mourn all of the
pain our species has brought upon other creatures in the name of human
superiority.