From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:02:46 -0700
>From:    JANNA REINARZ <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: seasonal shedding vs adrenal probs
>_How_do_I_tell_the_difference?_

In our experience adrenal problem hair loss is complete but patchy.  Its
normally on the body near the tail not the tail itself.  The bald patches
are really bald not just thinned.

Seasonal hair loss is over the whole body and usually not completely bald
to the skin at one time.  The thinning is most noticable on the tail

We've had someone who claims to be a ferret medical expert try to diagnose
a lot of our ferrets as adrenal patients when it was really just seasonal
shedding or a thin haired tail typical of some males in rut so
mis-diagnosises do happen.

We don't pretend to be veterinarians but your description sounds more like
shedding than adrenal problems so waiting is probably a good idea.  The
disease doesn't normally take ferrets quickly so a bit of a wait is safe.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret..com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]